> >>Time stamps are not used for conflict resolution - unless is is part of
> the application logic!!!
>

>>What is you definition of conflict resolution ? Because if you update
twice the same column (which
>>I'll call a conflict), then the timestamps are used to decide which update
wins (which I'll call a resolution).

I understand what you are saying, and yes semantics is very important here.
And yes we are responding to the immediate questions without covering all
questions in the thread.

The point being made here is that the timestamp of the column is not used by
Cassandra to figure out what data to return.

E.g. - Quorum is 2 nodes - and RF of 3 over N1/2/3
A Quorum  Write comes and add/updates the time stamp (TS2) of a particular
data element. It succeeds on N1 - fails on N2/3. So the write is returned as
failed - right ?
Now Quorum read comes in for exactly the same piece of data that the write
failed for.
So N1 has TS2 but both N2/3 have the old TS (say TS1)
And the read succeeds - Will it return TS1 or TS2.

I submit it will return TS1 - the old TS.

Are we on the same page with this interpretation ?

Regards,

-JA