To give an idea, last March (2010) I run the a much older Cassandra on 10 HP
blades (dual socket, 4 core, 16GB, 2.5 laptop HDD) and was writing around 250K
columns per second with 500 python processes loading the data from wikipedia
running on another 10 HP blades.

This was my first out of the box no tuning (other then using sensible batch
updates) test. Since then Cassandra has gotten much faster.

Hope that helps
Aaron