Couple of questions to ask. You may also get some value from the #cassandra
chat room where you can have a bit more of a conversation.

- checking you ran  nodetool scrub when upgrading to 0.7.3 ? (not related to
the current problem, just asking)
- what client library was using to write the data ?
- when you have DEBUG logging and run the get that fails do you see any  log
messages that say "collecting %s of %s" ? (these mean the columns are been read
by the query even if not returned).
- not sure how easy it's going to be to pull 400MB of data through the server
in one call. Take a look at thrift_max_message_length_in_mb and
thrift_framed_transport_size_in_mb in the config.

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton