Janne,

Of course, I am new to the Cassandra world, so it is taking some getting used
to understand how everything translates into my MYSQL head.

We are building an enterprise application that will ingest log information and
provide metrics and trending based upon the data contained in the logs. The
application is transactional in nature such that a record will be written to a
log and our system will need to query that record and assign two values to it
in addition to using the information to develop trending metrics.

The logs are being fed into cassandra by Flume.

Each of our users will be assigned their own piece of hardware that generates
these log events, some of which can peak at up to 2500 transactions per second
for a couple of hours. The log entries are around 150-bytes each and contain
around 20 different pieces of information. Neither us, nor our users are
interested in generating any queries across the entire database. Users are only
concerned with the data that their particular piece of hardware generates.

Should I just setup a single column family with 20 columns, the first of which
being the row key and make the row key the username of that user?

We would also need probably 2 more columns to store Value A and Value B
assigned to that particular record.

Our metrics will be be something like this: For this particular user, during
this particular timeframe, what is the average of field "X?" And then store
that value, which we can generate historical trending over the course a week.
We will do this every 15 minutes.

Any suggestions on where I should head to start my journey into Cassandra for
my particular application?

Trevor Francis