Regarding Rotating, I was thinking about the concept of log rotate, where you
write to a file for a specific period of time, then you create a new file and
write to it after a specific set of time. So yes, it closes a row and opens
another row.

Since I will be generating analytics every 15 minutes, its would make sense to
me to bucket a row every 15 minutes. Since I would only have at most 500 users,
this doesn't strike me as too many rows in a given day (48,000). Potential
downsides to doing this?

Since I am analyzing 20 separate data points for a given log entry, it would
make sense that querying based upon a specific metric (wind, rain, sunshine)
would be easier if the data was separated. However, couldn't we build composite
columns for time and value where all that would be left in "data"?

So composite row key would be:

george
2012-04-12T12:20

And Columns would be:

12:22:23.293/Wind

12:22:23.293/Rain

12:22:23.293/Sunshine

Data would be:
55
45
10

Our the columns could be 12:22:23.293

Data:
Wind/55/45/35

Or something like that….Am I headed in the right direction?

Trevor Francis