I'll try to get some log files for this with DEBUG enabled.  Tough on
production though.

From: aaron morton [mailto:aa...@thelastpickle.com]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 11:15 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: 1.1 not removing commit log files?

Apply the local hint mutation follows the same code path and regular mutations.

When the commit log is being truncated you should see flush activity, logged
from the ColumnFamilyStore with "Enqueuing flush of " messages.

If you set DEBUG logging for the  org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore it
will log if it things the CF is clean and no flush takes place.

If you set DEBUG logging on org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog we will
see if the commit log file could not be deleted because a dirty CF was not
flushed.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer