Hi Patrick,

I'm not sure if it's doable, but I can tell you for sure that there are
lots differences in the way the networks will need to be set up.  If you've
got to secure client traffic, it's going to get even more complicated with
encrypted traffic, etc.

We did some performance testing and configuration testing
with Cassandra across regions using a virtual network (my company's
product).

Have a look at what we did. I think when you add in your own datacenter,
things are going to get even more complicated.  One of the nice things
about using a virtual network in EC2 is that you can set up multiple
network interfaces so you don't have to use the the multi-region snitch.
 These interfaces are also clever about using the real and the NAT'ed EC2
interfaces for cluster traffic (better performance and $0 EC2 data
bandwidth costs), so things can be set up just like in your own datacetner
without worrying about EC2's public/private IPs, NATing, etc.

You can read about what we did on our blog.

http://blog.vcider.com/2011/09/running-cassandra-on-a-virtual-network-in-ec2/

and

http://blog.vcider.com/2011/09/virtual-networks-can-run-cassandra-up-to-60-faster/

Let me know if you have any questions.