> Which version of Cassandra has your data been created initially with?
> A bug in Cassandra 1.1.2 and earlier could cause out-of-order sstables
> and inter-level overlaps in CFs with Leveled Compaction. Your sstables
> generated with 1.1.3 and later should not have this issue [1] [2].
> In case you have old Leveled-compacted sstables (generated with 1.1.2
> or earlier. including 1.0.x) you need to run offline scrub using
> Cassandra 1.1.4 or later via /bin/sstablescrub command so it'll fix
> out-of-order sstables and inter-level overlaps caused by previous
> versions of LCS. You need to take nodes down in order to run offline
> scrub.

The data was orginally created on a 1.1.2 cluster with STCS (i.e. NOT
leveled compaction).
After the upgrade to 1.1.4 we changed from STCS to LCS w/o problems.
Then we ran more tests and created more and very big keys with millions of
columns.
The assertion only shows up with one particular CF containing these big
keys.
So, from your explanation, I don't think an offline scrub will help.

Thanks,
-Rudolf.