upgradesstables is safe, but it is essentially compaction (because sstables are
immutable it rewrites the sstable in the new format) so you'll want to do it
when traffic is low to avoid IO issues.

upgradesstables always needs to be done between majors. While 1.1.2 -> 1.1.8 is
not a major, due to an unforeseen bug in the conversion to microseconds you'll
need to run upgradesstables.

You can check if all of your sstables have been upgraded by looking at the file
names of the sstables. Your files should be –hd–

1.1.8 will be –hf–

I don't remember there being changes to cassandra.yaml between  1.1.2 -> 1.1.7
but you might want to check out a clean copy and compare your yaml to make sure
some of the recommended default haven't changed or required new config options.

Otherwise, nodetool drain, stop the service, upgrade to the new release, and
start the service, upgradesstables

Hinted Handoff should take care of anything while the node is down but if you
want to be extra safe you can do a repair –pr on every node but you should be
doing that on a regular basis anyways!

Hope this helps.

Best,
michael