You can always run them. But in some situations repair cannot be used, and in
this case new nodes cannot be added. The news.txt file is your friend there.

As a general rule when upgrading a cluster I move one node to the new version
and let it soak in for an hour or so. Just to catch any crazy. I then upgrade
all the nodes and run through the upgrade table. You can stagger upgrade table
to be every RF'th node in the cluster to reduce the impact.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand