Cassandra handles nodes changing IP. The import thing to Cassandra is the
token, not the IP.

In your case did the replacement node have the same token as the failed one?

You can normally work around these issues using commands like nodetool
removetoken.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer