When my EC2 instance failed I restarted it, and added the new private IP
address to the list of seed nodes (was this my error?).
Nodetool then showed 4 live nodes and one dead one (corresponding to the
old private IP address).

I'm guessing that what I should have done on the restarted node is start it
with -Dreplace_token?
In such cases what should I do with the list of seed nodes?

I think this is a great opportunity for a technical paper or something on
how to setup Cassandra on EC2.  :-)
BTW: I'm running with encrypted disks....running live on ephemeral drives
that get periodically copied back to EBS stores so I don't lose anything.

Brian