There seem to be some data structures in cassandra which scale with the
number of rows stored and consume in-jvm memory without bound (other than
number of rows).  Even with 1.2, I think that index samples are still kept
in-jvm so you may need to tune index_interval.  Unfortunately that is a
global value so it will affect all CF and not just the big ones that need
it to be different.

There may be other issues (like during compaction) but that one pops out.
 Prior to 1.2, bloom filters would be a big problem too.

-Bryan