Hinted Handoff works well. But it's an optimisation that has certain safety
valves, configuration and throttling that means it is still not considered the
way to ensure on disk consistency.

In general, if a node restarts or drops mutations HH should get the message
there eventually. In specific cases it may not.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand