> Can you please elaborate on the specials of truncate?
I think ed was talking about this config setting in 1.2
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/conf/cassandra.yaml#L484

> It works, only sometimes it silently fails (1 in 400 runs of the truncate,
> actually).

The data is left in place ?
Are you making the calls very quickly? If you add a pause does it help ?

> At the same time the truncate fails I see system ks compaction. Additionally,
> it seems there is quite a lot of these system ks compactions (the numbers in
> the filenames go up pretty fast to thousands).
In 1.2 truncate updates a system table, which always flush after updates.

Cheers
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand