I use dynamic columns all the time and they vary in type.

With CQL you can define a default type, but you can't insert specific types
of data for column name and value. It forces you to use all bytes or all
strings, which would require coverting it to other types.

thrift is much more powerful in that respect.

not everyone needs to take advantage of the full power of dynamic columns.