This may be hard because the coordinator could store hinted handoff (HH) data
on disk. You could turn HH off and have RF=1 to keep data on a single instance,
but you would be likely to lose data if you had any problems with your
instances… Also you would need to tweak the memtable flushing so that it goes
to disk more often than the ten seconds which is the default. Or lose data. You
will also have an "interesting" time scaling your cluster and would have to
plan for that in your custom database.

Essentially you want to turn off all the features which make Cassandra a robust
product ;-). Without knowing your requirements more precisely, I'd be inclined
to recommend manually sharding on MariaDB or Postgres instances instead, or use
their underlying storage engines directly (e.g. InnoDB), if you're just looking
for a key-value store.

/Janne