>>> I still have some questions regarding the mapping. Please bear with me
>>> if these are stupid questions. I am quite new to Cassandra.
>>>
>>> The basic cassandra data model for a keyspace is something like this,
>>> right?
>>>
>>> SortedMap<byte[], SortedMap<byte[], Pair<Long, byte[]>>
>>>                  ^ row key. determines which server(s) the rest is
>>> stored on
>>>                                              ^ column key
>>>                                                                ^
>>> timestamp (latest one wins)
>>>
>>> ^ value (can be size 0)
>>>

>> It's a reasonable way to think of how things are stored internally, yes.
>> Though as DuyHai mentioned, the first map is really sorting by token and in
>> general that means you use mostly the sorting of the second map concretely.
>>

> Yes, understood.
>
> So the first SortedMap is sorted on some kind of hash of the actual key to
> make sure the data gets evenly distributed along the nodes? What if my key
> is already a good hash: is there a way to use an identity function as a
> hash function (in CQL)?

It's possible, yes. The hash function we're talking about is what Cassandra
calls "the partitioner". You configure the partitioner in the yaml config
file and there is one partitioner, ByteOrderedPartitioner, that is
basically the identify function.
We however usually discourage user for using it because the partitioner is
global to a cluster and cannot be changed (you basically pick it at cluster
creation time and are stuck with it until the end of time), and since
ByteOrderedPartitioner can easily lead to hotspot in the data distribution
if you're not careful...For those reasons, the default partitioner is also
much more tested, and I can't remember anyone mentioning the partitioner
has been a bottleneck.

--
Sylvain