I'm wondering what will clear tombstoned rows?  nodetool cleanup, nodetool
repair, or time (as in just wait)?

I had a CF that was more or less storing session information.  After some
time, we decided that one piece of this information was pointless to track
(and was 90%+ of the columns, and in 99% of those cases was ALL columns for
a row).   I wrote a process to remove all of those columns (which again in
a vast majority of cases had the effect of removing the whole row).

This CF had ~1 billion rows, so I expect to be left with ~100m rows.  After
I did this mass delete, everything was the same size on disk (which I
expected, knowing how tombstoning works).  It wasn't 100% clear to me what
to poke to cause compactions to clear the tombstones.  First I tried
nodetool cleanup on a candidate node.  But, afterwards the disk usage was
the same.  Then I tried nodetool repair on that same node.  But again, disk
usage is still the same.  The CF has no snapshots.

So, am I misunderstanding something?  Is there another operation to try?
 Do I have to "just wait"?  I've only done cleanup/repair on one node.  Do
I have to run one or the other over all nodes to clear tombstones?

Cassandra 1.2.15 if it matters,

Thanks!

will