Another thing to keep in mind--even core pieces like the Linux kernel are
dominated by corporations.  Less than 20% of contributions last year were
made by non-corporate sponsored contributors.  Obviously, this is a bit
different, but many parts of the open source world depend on upstream
contribution.  If Datastax decides to stop this (I hope they don't), that
would probably yield some pretty bad press as well.

I'd like to think that the people at DSE are like you and me, and the
individual developers _want_ to contribute these changes upstream, but that
may just be naive. :)