You can use query tracing to check what is happening. Also you fire
jconsole/JavaVisualVM and push out some metrics like the 99th read Beans
for that column family.
A simpler check is using cfstats and look for weird numbers (high number
sstables, if you are deleting check how much tombstones per scan, etc).

Another is checking if compactions are not running when you query.
Opscenter can provide some graphs and help out.

Regards,

Carlos Juzarte Rolo
Cassandra Consultant

Pythian - Love your data