On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 6:04 PM, Alaa Zubaidi (PDF) <alaa.zuba...@pdf.com>
wrote:

> We are running Cassandra 2.2.1 on Windows 2008R2, and we see that multiple
> Nodes are stuck at 99% CPU bringing the whole VM to a halt.
> We suspect that there is another process that IT/Windows is causing the
> CPU issue, but the problem is Cassandra does NOT recover, the CPU
> utilization start climbing until the VM is not usable. If we restart
> Cassandra, things go back to normal.

Most cases where a JVM does not recover and churns at maxed CPU are the
result of GC failure and/or OOM.

Check your logs for OOM and long GCs.

Also FWIW you are among a relatively small group of Windows operators.
Other than with the people working at datastax to support Windows, there is
not a whole lot of well understood operational best practice for Cassandra
on Windows.

=Rob