Sis you set the JVM_OPTS to replace address? That is usually the error I get
when I forget to set the replace_address on Cassandra-env.

JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Dcassandra.replace_address=address_of_dead_node

From: Anishek Agarwal [mailto:anis...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2015 9:25 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: handling down node cassandra 2.0.15

nope its not

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 5:48 PM, sai krishnam raju potturi
<pskraj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is that a seed node?

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015, 05:21 Anishek Agarwal <anis...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

We are having a 3 node cluster and one of the node went down due to a hardware
memory failure looks like. We followed the steps below after the node was down
for more than the default value of max_hint_window_in_ms

I tried to restart cassandra by following the steps @

http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/1.2/cassandra/operations/ops_replace_node_t.html

http://blog.alteroot.org/articles/2014-03-12/replace-a-dead-node-in-cassandra.html

except the "clear data" part as it was not specified in second blog above.

i was trying to restart the same node that went down, however I did not get the
messages in log files as stated in 2 against "StorageService"

instead it just tried to replay and then stopped with the error message as
below:

ERROR [main] 2015-11-16 15:27:22,944 CassandraDaemon.java (line 584) Exception
encountered during startup

java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot replace address with a node that is already
bootstrapped

Can someone please help me if there is something i am doing wrong here.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards,

Anishek