Hi Joseph.

As I can't reproduce here, I believe you are having network issue of some
kind.

MacBook-Pro:~ alain$ cqlsh --version
cqlsh 5.0.1
MacBook-Pro:~ alain$ echo 'DESCRIBE KEYSPACES;' | cqlsh --connect-timeout=5
--request-timeout=10
system_traces  system
MacBook-Pro:~ alain$

It's been a few days, did you manage to fix it ?

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - al...@thelastpickle.com
France

http://www.thelastpickle.com