On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding is using RF 3 and LOCAL_QUORUM for both reads and writes
> will provide a strong consistency and a high availability. One node can go
> down and also without lowering the consistency. Or RF = 5, Quorum = 3,
> allowing 2 nodes node if you need more availability / redundancy (Never saw
> that in use so far).

I agree that if one "actually" cared about TOTAL AVAILABILITY one would run
RF=5.

In that case, one can survive a "permanent" downtime (node hw crashes) and
a "temporary" downtime (momentary network partition of node) and still
serve at QUORUM.

I also agree that I've never seen anyone actually do this, probably because
they don't "actually" care... :D

=Rob