Kevin,

"Our scheme uses large buckets of content where we write to a
bucket/partition for 5 minutes, then move to a new one."

Are you writing to a single partition and only that partition for 5
minutes?  If so, you should really rethink your data model.  This method
does not scale as you add nodes, it can only scale vertically.