> I set  default_time_to_live for existing table. Does it affect existing
> data?

No, it sets a default TTL for the future writes (that is no guarantee, as
it can be overwritten in any specific query).

It seems data to be deleted, but after compaction, I don't see any disk
> space freed as expected

Indeed tombstones are responsible for tombstones eviction, yet there are
some conditions to respect to be able to remove the tombstones (for
consistency reasons). I detailed this last year, and even though the
content is a bit old, main principles are still true and the tuning options
are still relevant.

*About deletes and tombstones: *
http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2016/07/27/about-deletes-and-tombstones.html

*tl;dr: *I would give a try to *unchecked_tombstone_compaction: true*.
Maybe also consider using TWCS because of this "TTL is also ten days on one
table and 100 days on other.". But I really recommend you to understand how
this all work to act wisely. My guess can be wrong.

*About TWCS*: http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2016/12/08/TWCS-part1.html

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
France / Spain