Hello Vlad,

I don't remember the context of the sentences, but I see no
incompatibilities. I believe the misunderstanding comes from the word
'compaction' that is a bit large. In the first sentence it is about
tombstone compactions. in sentence two it is about standard, regular
compaction according to the chosen compaction strategy. Both are slightly
different things:

A compaction strategy can be done compacting data like in those buckets you
mentioned but still do the tombstones compactions. Tombstone compactions
are done specially for tombstone eviction. Historically they are involving
only one sstable (in recent versions can be multiple SSTables), they are
ran with a lower priority than normal compactions and are not disabled
unless the 'tombstone_threshold' is set to 1 (subproperty of compaction,
table level).

And expiring tables does not involve any compactions.

I hope this is more clear now.

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
France / Spain