Great question.  Unfortunately, our OSS docs lack a step by step process on how
to add a DC, I’ve created a JIRA to do that:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14254>

The datastax docs are pretty good for this though:
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/latest/cassandra/operations/opsAddDCToCluster.html

<https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/latest/cassandra/operations/opsAddDCToCluster.html>

Regarding token allocation, it was random prior to 3.0.  In 3.0 and up, it is
calculated a little more intelligently.  in 3.11.2, which was just released,
CASSANDRA-13080 was backported which will help out when you add your second DC.
 If you go this route, you can drop your token count down to 16 and get all the
benefits with no drawbacks.

At this point I would go straight to 3.11.2 and skip 3.0 as there were quite a
few improvements that make it worthwhile along the way, in my opinion.  We work
with several customers that are running 3.11 and are pretty happy with it.

Yes, if there’s no data, you can initialize the cluster with auto_boostrap:
true.  Be sure to change any key spaces using simple strategy to NTS first, and
replica them to the new DC as well.

Jon