I wouldn't 100% rely on your clients to generate timestamps (actually don't
100% rely on timestamps at all!) .

Clients tend to be stateless, scaled up and down,  stopped, started, ntp
takes time to skew a clock and they are more likely to be moved between
hypervisor's in cloud environments etc. All these combine to give you more
scenarios where clients have unreliable clocks that are not roughly in sync
with each other.

By far and large the worst time related bugs I've experienced are due to
Cassandra clients having the wrong timestamp set for it's writetime.

Of course this depends on what you are prioritising... relative accuracy of
any given writetime on one row to any other given row or just respecting
what the client thinks is right.

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018, 21:24 Jeff Jirsa <jji...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Clients can race (and go backward), so the more computer answer tends to
> be to use LWT/CAS to guarantee state if you have a data model where it
> matters.
>

> --
> Jeff Jirsa
>

> On Mar 8, 2018, at 6:18 PM, Dor Laor <d...@scylladb.com> wrote:
>
> While NTP on the servers is important, make sure that you use client
> timestamps and
> not server. Since the last write wins, the data generator should be the
> one setting its timestamp.
>
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Ben Slater <ben.sla...@instaclustr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It is important to make sure you are using the same NTP servers across
>> your cluster - we used to see relatively frequent NTP issues across our
>> fleet using default/public NTP servers until (back in 2015) we implemented
>> our own NTP pool (see
>> https://www.instaclustr.com/apache-cassandra-synchronization/ which
>> references some really good and detailed posts from logentries.com on
>> the potential issues).
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ben
>>
>> On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 at 02:07 Michael Shuler <mich...@pbandjelly.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As long as your nodes are syncing time using the same method, that
>>> should be good. Don't mix daemons, however, since they may sync from
>>> different sources. Whether you use ntpd, openntp, ntpsec, chrony isn't
>>> really important, since they are all just background daemons to sync the
>>> system clock. There is nothing Cassandra-specific.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Michael

>>> https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/keeping-time-with-amazon-time-sync-service/
>>> )

>>> any

>>> --
>>

>> *Ben Slater*
>>
>> *Chief Product Officer <https://www.instaclustr.com/>*
>>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/instaclustr>
>> <https://twitter.com/instaclustr>
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/instaclustr>
>>
>> Read our latest technical blog posts here
>> <https://www.instaclustr.com/blog/>.
>>
>> This email has been sent on behalf of Instaclustr Pty. Limited
>> (Australia) and Instaclustr Inc (USA).
>>
>> This email and any attachments may contain confidential and legally
>> privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy
>> or disclose its content, but please reply to this email immediately and
>> highlight the error to the sender and then immediately delete the message.
>>

> --
Ben Bromhead
CTO | Instaclustr <https://www.instaclustr.com/>
+1 650 284 9692
Reliability at Scale
Cassandra, Spark, Elasticsearch on AWS, Azure, GCP and Softlayer