Hi Oliver,

I was in a similar situation to you and Matija a few years back as well and
can vouch for what Matija has said. Some data sets are more suitable for
Cassandra than others; so the answer to your question depends on the type
of data and how it is modelled in Cassandra. The data model will affect
performance and how the cluster expands over time.

The application(s) connecting to the database will need to be modified to
at least call the cluster and possibly to perform some of the operations
that MySQL performed (e.g joins). This means that any sort of benchmark
would have use the full system end-to-end. If you did decide to benchmark
your system with MySQL and then with Cassandra, it is best to use a full
production data load. This is because the data model used in Cassandra will
affect the system performance characteristics as the data grows.

Kind regards,
Anthony