Sorry, my mistake.  Everything is bluej421.  I tried  to (but in hind sight
should not have) edit the append to make the host more generic.  The actual
experiment uses bluej421 everywhere.

cqlsh from the same host works fine with the same exact host specified as
CQLSH_HOST.

I just now installed apache-cassandra-3.11.2-bin.tar.gz and the problem
persists.