I did not realize that the 3.0.9 cassandra.yaml file is not compatible with
3.11??

I started fresh and edited the 3.11 cassandra.yaml file.  Here are the
exact changes:

diff cassandra.yaml cassandra.yaml.orig
425c425
<           - seeds: "bluej421"
---
>           - seeds: "127.0.0.1"
599c599
< listen_address: bluej421
---
> listen_address: localhost
676c676
< rpc_address: bluej421
---
> rpc_address: localhost

I made no other changes to Cassandra.  After launching server, cqlsh client
works.  My java client fails just the same.

Lou.