Thanks all for the help.

But I am bit lost though because in my case top command is showing that
Cassandra process is consuming 18G (heap+nonheap + pagecache)
Free command is showing 12G as available out of 24G total.
Now my heap is 8G and off heap metrics show 1.6G ( using jmxterm) usage. So
my usage should be around 9.6G and rest page cache is around 8G.
Bug free command shows only 12G is available for use. I want to understand
this discrepancy in memory consumption.

Regards
Himanshu