Greetings,

We have an existing Cassandra cluster (3.0.9) running on production.

Now ,we want to create data pipelines to ingest data from Cassandra and
persist in hadoop. We are thinking of using CDC feature (available from
Cassandra 3.8) along with Kafka Connect.

We are thinking of creating a new read-only DC which will replicate data
from the Production DC.This new DC will be running the latest Cassandra
version (3.8+) with CDC enabled.

Shown in this diagram : https://i.stack.imgur.com/hkGBh.png

My questions:

   1.

   For replication to work, do we need both dc's running same version of
   Cassandra? Can't we achieve this without upgrading the DC used by the
   service?
   2.

   Is it possible to enable CDC feature only in the new read-only DC?