it's not the same, notice I wrote r6gd, these are the ones with nvme, i'm
looking just at those.
I do not need all the space that i3en gives me (and probably won't be able
to use it all due to memory usage, or have other issues just like you
mention), so the plan is use the big enough r6gd nodes, such as
r6gd.8xlarge, it has 1.9tb nvme, it should good enough for my needs (I
would also add that a big chunk of the data that is not read that
frequently, so I might be ok with putting a specific set of tables on EBS)

We are currently running with i3 servers, as you mention, they are indeed
the sweet spot, but we are looking to move to bigger nodes.