> Do you mean "a common way" or "the Commons way".
Sorry, I meant the second one.

> json.org is pretty much canonical when it comes to JSON encoding. How much
> more common do you need? I realize that this is the apache commons user list,
> and it wouldn't hurt to have Commons support JSON better. However as an
> pragmatic engineer, I would use json.org before asking the apache community
> to duplicate that functionality

There are a lot of reasons which let me think that having inside the
StringEscapeUtils class is a legitimate idea:
1. take a look at SEU's methods [2]
2. adding a new dependency, just for json escaping,  seems excessive to me.
3. Last but not least there is already an open issue [1], and FYI I
have already submitted a patch.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-797
[2]
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang//apidocs/org/apache/commons/lang3/StringEscapeUtils.html#method_summary