Sorry, the example was incomplete. It should be like this:

    @Test
    public void testReplaceEscapingDollarSign() {
        values.put("amount", "20.00");

        final StrSubstitutor sub = new StrSubstitutor(values);
        sub.setEscapeChar('<');

        String replaceTemplate = "The <${animal} jumps over the ${target}.";
        String expectedResult = "The ${animal} jumps over the lazy dog.";
        String replacedResult = sub.replace(replaceTemplate);
        assertEquals(expectedResult, replacedResult);

        replaceTemplate = "The ${animal} paid <$${amount} to jump over
the ${target}.";
        expectedResult = "The quick brown fox paid $20.00 to jump over
the lazy dog.";
        replacedResult = sub.replace(replaceTemplate);
        assertEquals(expectedResult, replacedResult);
    }

The second assertion failed. So, it seems working in case of
"<${animal}", but not working in case of "<$${amount}".

testReplaceEscapingDollarSign(org.apache.commons.lang3.text.StrSubstitutorTest)
 Time elapsed: 0.009 sec  <<< FAILURE!
org.junit.ComparisonFailure: expected:<...uick brown fox paid []$20.00
to jump over ...> but was:<...uick brown fox paid [<]$20.00 to jump
over ...>

Regards,

Woonsan