David,

The Poisson distribution tells you things like the probability of different
numbers of ambulances being dispatched.

For simulation purposes, it is usually far preferable to use the
exponential distribution to compute the time of the next ambulance.  In R,
computing 100 dispatch times would look like this:

     t = cumsum(rexp(100, rate=9))

You can copy code from log-synth to do this as well:

https://github.com/tdunning/log-synth/blob/master/src/main/java/com/mapr/synth/samplers/ArrivalSampler.java

The next thing that you will need to worry about is how to handle variable
rates.  One good way to do this is to generate departures in a fictitious
time and then do time warping to get the variable rates. The idea is that
fictitious time would pass at a faster rate during the day than at night.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 9:21 AM, Kulpanowski, David <dkulpanow...@leegov.com