On 2016-01-26 22:36, Martin Gainty wrote:

mvn package doesnt package (testcase fails) currently
  <testcase name="testSCXMLExecutorTransitions02Sample"
classname="org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutorTest" time="0.03">
     <error type="java.lang.NullPointerException:">
     java.lang.NullPointerException: null at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SLF4JLog.isDebugEnabled(SLF4JLog.java:49) at

org.apache.commons.scxml2.env.SimpleContext.setLocal(SimpleContext.java:178) at

org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutionContext.initializeIOProcessors(SCXMLExecutionContext.java:358)
 at

org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutionContext.attachInstance(SCXMLExecutionContext.java:397)
 at

org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutor.attachInstance(SCXMLExecutor.java:398)
at

org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLTestHelper.testInstanceSerializability(SCXMLTestHelper.java:258)
 at

org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutorTest.testSCXMLExecutorTransitions02Sample(SCXMLExecutorTest.java:139)

correct this small bug lurking in
org.apache.commons.scxml2.env.SimpleContext.java

  /**
  * Assigns a new value to an existing variable or creates a new one.
  * The method allows to shaddow a variable of the same name up the
  * Context chain.
  *
  * @param name The variable name
  * @param value The variable value
  * @see org.apache.commons.scxml2.Context#setLocal(String, Object)
  * as someone forgot to initialize log toss a System.out.println
  */
  public void setLocal(final String name, final Object value) {
      getVars().put(name, value);
      try {
          if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
              log.debug(name + " = " + String.valueOf(value));
          }
      }
      catch(NullPointerException npe) {
          System.out.println("SimpleContext::setLocal log.isDebugEnabled() where log="+log+"
name="+name+" throws NPE");
      }
  }

*Obrigado Guilherme*
Martín

AFAICT the above NPE only can occur when configuring an invalid/wrong logging class (like in the pom.xml for the maven-surefire-plugin) and/or through explicitly set the the Log instance to null in SimpleContext.java.

When using a clean checkout/clone of the current SCXML git repository (master) this definitely is not the case, and mvn package works just fine.

So possibly you have local modifications, either to the pom.xml logging configuration or otherwise causing this exception?

Regards, Ate