On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 4:33 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> May I ask why a minium of Java 7 is a problem for some people?
>
> It would be useful to know this when considering other updates.

In my case, one of our oldest and largest customers--a Fortune 100
company--is running Oracle WebLogic 10.3, which they purchase with Extended
Support for Java SE 6. Oracle states that Extended Support for Java SE 6
will be available December 2018 (
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html). We have no
indication that they will upgrade before then.

Most of my development is with GWT using Gradle as my build tool. In
addition to having to back out Commons Imaging, I am for now sticking with
an older Gradle plugin for GWT because the alternative plugin also requires
Java 7. I've found out the best way to avoid the accidental introduction of
a Java 7 binary is to stick with Java 6 for the build environment, too.