I'm currently looking into some curve-fitting and have examined the

basicGuess(WeightedObservedPoint[])

in GaussianCurveFitter.ParameterGuesser, and there is one thing I don't really understand.

in Line 301 [1] the "halfY" is computed by n (what is the maximal y value of the observation) + half the sum of n+m (where m is the x value of the maximum) applying this to some of my datapoints that fit relatively good as a Gaussian later, it seems that this condition never works, and the default in the catch clause is used instead.

I also wonder why x is taken into account for computing the half-y value..

thanks in advance.

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-math/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/fitting/GaussianCurveFitter.java#L301