I work with Maggie, and had a follow up question about running multiple
instances of couchdb using one binaries directory.  When setting up a cluster,
I understand I need to set the identity of each node in vm.args.  I tried the
following to have couchdb look in a different location for the vm.args file:

        export ERL_FLAGS="-couch_ini /myinstance1/default.ini
/myinstance1/local.ini -args_file /myinstance1/vm.args"

However, the couchdb log shows the node identity as: nonode@nohost

Then I tried specifying -name in ERL_FLAGS:

        export ERL_FLAGS="-couch_ini /myinstance1/default.ini
/myinstance1/local.ini -name myinstance1@hostname1.domain"

And I still get: nonode@nohost

Finally, I tried specifying -sname in ERL_FLAGS, and this seems to work, but
gives a shortname:

        export ERL_FLAGS="-couch_ini /myinstance1/default.ini
/myinstance1/local.ini -sname myinstance1"

And now I get: myinstance1@hostname1.  Is there any way I can either point
couchdb at my instance's vm.args file, or I can specify the fully qualified
-name option correctly?

Thanks for your help!