No, it does not default to Ingestion Time. For other connectors in general,
you have to explicitly call `assignTimestampAndWatermarks()` before the
first operator in the topology that works on time (ex. windows), otherwise
the job will fail as soon as records start incoming.

Currently, I think only the Kinesis connector and, shortly in the future,
Kafka 0.10 connector will have default timestamps when the topology uses
Event Time. Otherwise, the behaviour is described as above.

Regards,
Gordon