>>FLINK-3320 (CEP "not" operator) does not address this because again, how
>>would the "not match" be triggered if no event at all occurs?
Good question.
I'm not sure whether the following will work:
This could be done by creating a CEP matching pattern that uses both of
"notNext" (or "notFollowedBy") and "within" constructs. Something like this:
Pattern<Event, ?> pattern = Pattern.<Event>begin("first")
    .notNext("second")
    .within(Time.seconds(3));

I'm hoping Flink CEP experts (Till?) will comment on this.
Note: I have requested these negation patterns to be implemented in Flink CEP,
but notNext/notFollowedBy are not yet implemented in Flink..

- LF