Try this. Your WM's need to move forward. Also don't use System Timestamp.
Use the timestamp of the element seen as the reference as the elements are
most likely lagging the system timestamp.

DataStream<Event> withTimestampsAndWatermarks = tuples
        .assignTimestampsAndWatermarks(new
AssignerWithPeriodicWatermarks<Event>()
{

            long waterMarkTmst;
            long lastEmittedWM=0;
            @Override
            public long extractTimestamp(Event element, long
previousElementTimestamp) {
                if(element.tmst>lastEmittedWM){
                   waterMarkTmst = element.tmst-1; //Assumes increasing
timestamps. Need to subtract 1 as more elements with same TS might arrive
                }
                return element.tmst;
            }

            @Override
            public Watermark getCurrentWatermark() {
                if(lastEmittedWM==waterMarkTmst){ //No new event seen, move
the WM forward by auto watermark interval
                    waterMarkTmst = waterMarkTmst + 1000l//Increase by auto
watermark interval (Watermarks only move forward in time)
                }
                lastEmittedWM = waterMarkTmst

                System.out.println(String.format("Watermark at %s", new
Date(waterMarkTmst)));
                return new Watermark(waterMarkTmst);//Until an event is
seem WM==0 starts advancing by 1000ms until an event is seen
            }
        }).keyBy("key");