This thread
http://apache-flink-user-mailing-list-archive.2336050.n4.nabble.com/passing-environment-variables-to-flink-program-td3337.html
 describes the impetus for the addition of yarn.taskmanager.env.

I have configured a value within yarn.taskmanager.env, and I see it appearing
in the Flink web UI in the list underneath Job Manager -> Configuration.
However, I can't figure out how to retrieve the value from within a Flink job.
It doesn't appear in the environment, the system properties, or my
ParameterTool instance, and I can't figure out how I would get to it via the
StreamExecutionEnvironment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

All I want to do is inform my Flink jobs which environment they're running on,
so that programmers don't have to specify the environment as a job parameter
every time they run it. I also see that there is a "env.java.opts"
configuration… does that work in YARN apps (would my jobs be able to see it?)

Thanks!
Shannon