Hi,

1. You could use a ProcessWindowFunction instead of a WindowFunction. In there,
you can query the current watermark and thus determine why the firing is
happening. Also, in a ProcessWindowFunction you can keep per-window state, this
would allow you to keep a bit of state that can tell you whether this is the
first firing for a given window or the number of firings so far.

2. This depends on whether the Trigger is purging or not. The default
EventTimeTrigger is not purging, meaning that all elements in the window will
be preserved after firing (until the watermark reaches the end of the window
plus the allowed lateness). You can turn this into a purging trigger using
PurgingTrigger.of(EventTimeTrigger.create()). You would specify this using
.trigger() on WindowedStream when constructing your windowed operation.

3. It doesn't, you have to manually keep state in a ProcessWindowFunction to
distinguish between different cases, as mentioned above.

4. Currently, I think there are no examples because this depends to a large
degree on the specifics of the application. I'm afraid.

Best,
Aljoscha