I have a job where I read data from Kafka, do some processing on it, and write
it to a database. When I read data out of Kafka, I put it into an object that
has a String field based on the Kafka message key. The possible values for the
message key are tightly constrained so there are fewer than 100 possible unique
key values. Profiling of the Flink job shows millions of in flight stream
elements, with an equal number of Strings, but I know all the strings are
duplicates of a small number of unique values.  So it's an ideal usecase for
String interning. I've tried to use interning in the constructors for the
message elements, but I suspect that I need to do something to preserve the
interning when Flink serializes/deserializes objects when passing them between
operators. What's the best way to accomplish that?

Notice: This e-mail is intended solely for use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader is
not the intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering the message to
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. This
communication may also contain data subject to U.S. export laws. If so, data
subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulation cannot be disseminated,
distributed, transferred, or copied, whether incorporated or in its original
form, to foreign nationals residing in the U.S. or abroad, absent the express
prior approval of the U.S. Department of State. Data subject to the Export
Administration Act may not be disseminated, distributed, transferred or copied
contrary to U. S. Department of Commerce regulations. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
the e-mail message and any physical copies made of the communication.
 Thank you.