Hi,

I'm afraid your analysis is 100% correct. Currently there's no out-of-box feature for dealing with this but our work on a new source interface ([1]) will enable us to add a feature that we call "event-time alignment" where source readers would slow down reading from certain source partitions if their watermark advances to far beyond the minimum watermark over all source partitions.

Best,
Aljoscha